Frequently asked questions


Land surveys take many forms that will vary based upon the needs of the client and requirements of the reviewing regulatory agencies or mortgage lenders. The most common is generally to referred to as an “A-2” Plot Plan, which depicts the location of improvements relative to property lines, and is required for new construction. Topographic surveys show elevations and contours (lines of equal elevation) that are often necessary for design and construction purposes. Construction Stakeout and “post-construction” surveys identify where improvements are to be, or have been built.

Land surveys are necessary if you want to know where you property boundaries are, or how much land you own according to your deed. In order to obtain building permits, most Towns require land surveys to show compliance with various regulations. These maps depict the location of existing structures and features relative to property lines, easements, septic fields, and inland wetland regulated area boundaries.

A survey is very useful in determining where to erect a fence, or whether or not your neighbor is occupying or otherwise utilizing your property. Under certain circumstances it is possible for an adjoining property to permanently claim ownership if your land after occupying it for an extended period.

Elevation Certificates are useful in determining if you have to pay additional costs to insure your home against floods.

It is possible, and if you are fortunate (and your home is relatively new) you may be able to locate some sort of map information on file in your Town Clerk’s or land use offices. Any available deed or map information can be useful to the surveyor, but it may be lacking in information required by the reviewer. In any case the accuracy of property lines and improvements depicted on maps by others cannot be certified by another surveyor without proper field verification and related research and office computations.

Professional engineers are experts in the field of land development. Be it residential, commercial, or industrial subdivisions or site plans, the design of driveways, roads, building lots, septic, sanitary, and stormwater drainage systems, these activities fall under the purview of these engineers, who are required to be licensed by the State of Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection. Professional engineers not only prepare highly detail plans and specifications, but also represent and advocate the client’s interests before local Health, Planning and Zoning and Inland Wetland Agencies, as well as State Agencies such as the Departments of Environmental Protection, Department of Transportation, and the Department of Health Services.

While the majority of the Stuart Somers Company, LLC’s work is done for private citizens, developers, and corporate entities we have a long history of preparing municipal road and drainage improvement plans. We have also prepared a number of property, open space, and conservation easement surveys for both the Town and state in furtherance of its open space acquisition program.